Sunday 1 September 2013

1974 USA Hit Parade

JANUARY  19,  1974

1.  The Joker  -  Steve Miller Band
2.  Show and tell  -  Al Wilson 
3.  Love's Theme  -  Love Unlimited Orchestra  
4.  You're sixteen  -  Ringo Starr
5.  Let me be there  -  Olivia Newton-John

6.  Are you lonesome tonight?  -  Donny Osmond
7.  Jungle boogie  -  Kool and the Gang 
8.  Smoking in the boy's room  -  Brownsville Station
9.  Me and baby brother - War  
10. Doo doo doo doo doo (Heartbreaker) - Rolling Stones
FEBRUARY  9,  1974

1.  The way we were  -  Barbra Streisand
2.  Until you come back to me  -  Aretha Franklin 
3.  Dark lady  -  Cher  
4.  Boogie down  -  Eddie Kendricks
5.  Americans - Byron MacGregor  

6.  Put your hands together  -  The O'Jays
7.  Spiders and snakes  -  Jim Stafford
8.  Rock on  -  David Essex
9.  Energy crisis '74 - Dickie Goodman 
10. Thanks for saving my life - Billy Paul
M A R C H  16,  1974

1.  Seasons in the sun  -  Terry Jacks
2.  Sunshine on my shoulders  -  John Denver
3.  Mocking bird  -  Carly Simon & James Taylor
4.  Hooked on a feeling  -  Blue Swede 
5.  Jet  -  Paul McCartney & Wings 

6.  Best thing that ever happened to me  -  Gladys Knight & the Pips
7.  Oh my, my  -  Ringo Starr
8.  I'll have to say 'I love you' in a song  -  Jim Croce 
9.  Eres tu  -  Mocedades
10. Looking for a love  -  Bobby Womack 
MFSB - Mother Fucker Son of a Bitch - TSOP
A P R I L   20,  1974

1.  Bennie and the Jets  -  Elton John
2.  The sound of Philadelphia  -  MFSB
3.  The locomotion  -  Grand Funk
4.  The streak  -  Ray Stevens
5.  The entertainer  -  Marvin Hamlisch

6.  Come and get your love  -  Redbone
7.  Dancing machine  -  The Jackson Five
8.  Don't you worry 'bout a thing  -  Stevie Wonder
9.  I've been searching so long  -  Chicago
10. Keep on singing  -  Helen Reddy
M A Y  18,  1974

1.  Band on the run  -  Paul McCartney & Wings
2.  The show must go on  -  Three Dog Night
3.  Just don't want to be lonely  -  The Main Ingredient
4.  Midnight at the Oasis  -  Maria Muldaur
5.  Help me  -  Joni Mitchell

6.  I won't last a day without you  -  Carpenters 
7.  Oh very young  -  Cat Stevens 
8.  Day break  -  Nilsson 
9.  Haven't got time for the pain  -  Carly Simon 
10. Piano man  -  Billy Joel
Stylistics
Kool & the Gang 
O' Jays 
J U N E   15,  1975

1.  You make me feel brand new  -  The Stylistics 
2.  Sundown  -  Gordon Lightfoot 
3.  Billy, don't be a hero  -  Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods
4.  For the love of money  -  The O'Jays 
5.  Hollywood swingin'  -  Kool & the Gang 

6.  On and on  -  Gladys Knight & the Pips
7.  You won't see me  -  Anne Murray 
8.  Be thankful for what you've got  -  William DeVaughn
9.  If you love me (Let me know)  -  Olivia Newton-John
10. Rock and roll heaven  -  The Righteous Brothers
The Hues Corporation 
Blue Magic
J U L Y  13,  1974

1.  Rock the boat  -  Hues Corporation
2.  Annie's song  -  John Denver
3.  Rock your baby  -  George McCrea
4.  Don't let the sun go down on me  -  Elton John 
5.  The air that I breathe  -  The Hollies

6.  Sideshow  -  Blue Magic 
7.  Taking care of business  -  Bachman Turner Overdrive
8.  Waterloo  -  Abba
9.  Rock me gently  -  Andy Kim 
10. Call on me  -  Chicago
AUGUST  10,  1974

1.  Feel like making love  -  Roberta Flack 
2.  Rikki don't lose that number  -  Steely Dan 
3.  The night Chicago died  -  Paper Lace
4.  Then came you  -  Dionne Warwick & The Spinners 
5.  Tell me something good  -  Rufus
  
6.  Please come to Boston  -  Dave Loggins 
7.  I'm leaving it all up to you  -  Donny & Marie Osmond 
8.  Another Saturday night  -  Cat Stevens 
9.  Let's put it all together  -  The Stylistics 
10. Skin tight  -  The Ohio Players
SEPTEMBER  21,  1974

1.  Can't get enough of your love, babe  -  Barry White
2.  (You're) Having my baby  -  Paul Anka 
3.  I shot the sheriff  -  Eric Clapton 
4.  Nothing from nothing  -  Billy Preston 
5.  Sweet home Alabama  -  Lynyrd Skynyrd

6.  You and me against the world  -  Helen Reddy 
7.  You haven't done nothing  -  Stevie Wonder 
8.  Do it ('Til you're satisfied)  -  B.T. Express
9.  Beach baby  -  First Class
10. Clap for the wolfman  -  The Guess Who
OCTOBER 12,  1974

1.  I honestly love you  -  Olivia Newton-John
2.  Everlasting love  -  Carl Carlton 
3.  Longfellow serenade  -  Neil Diamond 
4.  Jazzman  -  Carole King 
5.  Life is a rock (But the radio rolled me)  -  Reunion

6.  Rockin' soul  -  The Hues Corporation 
7.  Hang on in there, baby  -  Johnny Bristol
8.  Stop and smell the roses  -  Mac Davis 

9.  Never my love  -  Blue Swede 
10.  You little trustmaker  -  The Tymes
Yoko Ono, John Lennon & Roberta Flack
NOVEMBER  16,  1974

1.  Whatever gets you through the night  -  John Lennon
2.  I can help  -  Billy Swan
3.  You ain't seen nothing yet  -  Bachman-Turner Overdrive
4.  Tin Man  -  America 
5.  The bitch is back  -  Elton John 

6.  My melody of love  -  Bobby Vinton 
7.  Back home again  -  John Denver
8.  Wishing you were here  -  Chicago 
9.  Ain't too proud to beg  -  Rolling Stones 
10. Carefree highway  -  Gordon  Lightfoot
a very young Barry White with his mother  
DECEMBER  14,  1974

1.  Kung Fu Fighting  -  Carl Douglas
2.  Cat's in the cradle  -  Harry Chapin 
3.  When will I see you again?  -  The Three Degrees
4.  You're the first, the last, my everything  -  Barry White
5.  Angie baby  -  Helen Reddy

6.  Get dancin'  -  Disco-Tex & his Sex-o-lettes
7.  Junior's farm  -  Paul McCartney & Wings
8.  Doctor's orders  -  Carol Douglas
9.  Only you  -  Ringo Starr
10.  Sha la la (Make me happy)  -  Al Green
 

Billboard, 2nd February 1974

best selling album: 
'You don't mess around with Jim' - Jim Croce 

45 rpm singles:

40.  Dark lady - Cher (MCA) debut
39.  Top of the world - Carpenters (A&M) 
38.  Walk like a man - Grand Funk (Capitol) pr.: Todd Rundgren
37.  Abracadabra - The DeFranco Family (20th Century)
36.  Sexy mama - The Moments (Stang)  debut

35.  Goodbye yellow brick road - Elton John (MCA)
34.  When I fall in love / Are you lonesome tonight? - Donny Osmond (MGM)
33.  Baby come close - Smokey Robinson (Tamla)
32.  Leave me alone (Ruby Red Dress) - Helen Reddy (Capitol)
31.  Let your hair down - Temptations (Gordy)

30. Joy - Isaac Hayes (Enterprise-Stax)
29.  A love song - Anne Murray (Capitol)
28.  Jim Dandy - Black Oak Arkansas (Atco)
27.  Last time I saw him - Diana Ross (Motown) 
26.  The Americans (A Canadian's opinion) - Gordon Sinclair (Avco) 

25.  Midnight rider - Gregg Allman (Capricorn Records)
24.  Livin' for you - Al Green (Hi)
23.  I love - Tom T. Hall (Mercury)
22.  Doo doo doo doo doo (Heartbreaker) - Rolling Stones (RS) debut
21.  The most beautiful girl - Charlie Rich (Edpic) 15 wks

20.  Helen Wheels - Paul McCartney & Wings (Apple)
19.  Boogie down - Eddie Kendricks (Tamla)
18.  Put your hands together - O'Jays (Philadelphia International)
17.  Rock on - David Essex (Columbia) 
16.  Me and baby brother - War (UA)

15.  Never, never gonna give you up - Barry White (20th Century)
14.  Jungle boogie - Kool & the Gang (De-Lite)
13.  Livin' for the city - Stevie Wonder (Tamla)
12.  Time in a bottle - Jim Croce (ABC)
11.  Smokin' in the boys' room - Brownsville Station (Big Tree Record)

10.  Spiders and snakes - Jim Stafford (MGM)
9.  The joker - Steve Miller Band (Capitol)
8.  Until you come back to me (That's what I'm gonna do) - Aretha Franklin (Atlantic)
7.  Let me there - Olivia Newton-John (MCA)
6.  I've got to use my imagination - Gladys Knight & the Pips (Buddah Records)

5.  Americans (Gordon Sinclair)- Byron Mac Gregor (Westbound Records)
4.  Show and tell - Al Wilson (Rocky Road Records)
3.  Love's Theme - Love Unlimited Orchestra (20th Century)
2.  You're sixteen - Ringo Starr (Apple)
1.  The way we were - Barbra Streisand (Columbia)

5 wks in 1974 with 5 different Number Ones:

1st wk:  'Time in a bottle' - Jim Croce
2nd wk:  'The joker' - Steve Miller Band
3rd wk:  'Show and tell' - Al Wilson
4th wk:  'You're sixteen' - Ringo Starr
5th wk:   'The way we were' - Barbra Streisand 


Billboard, 2nd March 1974

40.  Smokin' in the boys' room - Brownsville Station (Big Tree Record)
39.  Jim Dandy - Black Oak Arkansas (Atco)
38.  Hooked on a feeling - Blue Swede (EMI) debut
37.  I've got to use my imagination - Gladys Knight & the Pips (Buddah Records)
36.  Rock and roll, hootchie koo - Rick Derringer (Blue Sky) former McCoys' lead singer - debut

35.  Can this be real? - Natural Four (Curtom) from Frisco
34.  Last kiss - Wednesday (Sussex) from Canada
33.  Energy crisis '74 - Dickie Goodman (Rainy Wednesday Records) 2nd wk 
32.  Bennie and the Jets - Elton John (MCA) debut
31.  The joker - Steve Miller Band (Capitol) 16 wks

30.  Mighty love - Spinners (Atlantic) 
29.  I like to live the love - B.B.King (Dunhill)
28.  There won't be anymore - Charlie Rich (Epic)
27.  Midnight rider - Gregg Allman (Capricorn Records)
26.  Show and tell - Al Wilson (Rocky Road Records)

25.  Doo doo doo doo doo (Heartbreaker) - Rolling Stones (RS)
24.  Come and get your love - Redbone (Epic)
23.  Trying to hold on to my woman - Lamont Dozier (ABC) 3rd wk
22.  My sweet lady - Cliff de Young with Bill Mumy & Corey Fischer (MCA) J.Denver
21.  Americans (Gordon Sinclair)- Byron Mac Gregor (Westbound Records) fell from #12

20.  Jet - Paul McCartney & Wings (Apple)
19.  Sexy mama - The Moments (Stang)
18.  Eres tu - Mocedades (Tara Records)
17.  Sunshine on my shoulder - John Denver (RCA) 
16.  Last time I saw him - Diana Ross (Motown)

15.  Let me there - Olivia Newton-John (MCA) falls from #10
14.  A love song - Anne Murray (Capitol)
13.  Mocking bird - Carly Simon & James Taylor (Elektra)
12.  I love - Tom T. Hall (Mercury)
11.  You're sixteen - Ringo Starr (Apple)

10.  Put your hands togegher - O'Jays (Philadelphia International)
9.  Dark lady - Cher (MCA)
8.  Love's theme - Love Unlimited Orchestra (20th Century)
7.  Until you come back to me (That's what I'm gonna do) - Aretha Franklin (Atlantic)
6.  Rock on - David Essex (Columbia)

5.  Jungle boogie - Kool & the Gang (De-Lite)
4.  Boogie down - Eddie Kendricks (Tamla)
3.  Spiders and snakes - Jim Stafford (MGM)
2.  The way we were - Barbra Streisand (Columbia) 2wks at #1
1.  Seasons in the sun - Terry Jacks (Bell)


Bilboard, 27 April 1974 

best selling album:  Chicago VII ('I've been searching so long' / 'Wishing you were here')

40.  Mighty mighty - Earth, Wind & Fire (Columbia)
39.  Eres tu - Mocedades (Tara Records) 
38.  Jet - Paul McCartney & Wings (Apple)
37.  Thanks for saving my life - Billy Paul (Philadelphia International)
36.  Piano man - Billy Joel (Columbia)

35.  I won't last a day without you - Carpenters (A&M) debut
34.  Outside woman - Bloodstone (London) 
33.  Don't you worry 'bout a thing - Stevie Wonder (Tamla) debut
32.  The payback - James Brown (Polydor)
31.  I'm a train - Albert Hammond (Mums)

30.  Oh very young - Cat Stevens (A&M) 2nd wk
29.  Help me - Joni Mitchell (Asylum) 2nd wk 
28.  Tell me a lie - Sami Jo (MGM-South)
27.  Touch your hand, make a friend - Staples Singers (Stax)
26.  Mockin' bird - Carly Simon & James Taylor (Elektra)

25.  A very special love song - Charlie Rich (Epic)
24.  Seasons in the sun - Terry Jacks (Bell) falls 10 notches
23.  Let it ride - Bachman-Turner Overdrive (Mercury)
22.  Midnight at the Oasis - Maria Mauldar (Reprise)
21.  You make me feel brand new - Stylistics (Avco) 3rd wk

20.  My mistake (Was to love you) - Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye (Motown)
19.  The streak - Ray Stevens (Barnaby) debut 
18.  The entertainer - Marvin Hamlisch (MCA) from #31
17.  The Lord's prayer - Sister Janet Mead (A&M)
16.  I've been searching so long - Chicago (Columbia) 

15.  Keep on singing - Helen Reddy (Capitol)
14.  Sunshine on my shoulder - John Denver (RCA)
13.  The show must go on - Three Dog Night (Dunhill)
12.  Tubular bells (Theme from 'The Exorcist') - Mike Oldfield (Virgin) 
11.  Just don't want to be lonely - Main Ingredient (RCA)

10.  Lookin' for a love - Bobby Womack (UA)
9.  I'll have to say 'I love you' in a song - Jim Croce (ABC)
8.  Dancin' machine - Jackson Five Motown)
7.  Come and get your love - Redbone (Epic) 
6.  Hooked on a feeling - Blue Swede (Capitol)

5.  Oh my my - Ring Starr (Apple)
4.  The locomotion - Grand Funk 
3.  Best thing that ever happened to me - Gladys Knight & the Pips (Buddah Records)
2.  Benny and the Jets - Elton John (MCA) 
1.  The sound of Philadelphia - Mother, Father, Son & Daughter (Philadelphia International)


Billboard, 17 August 1974

40.  Beach baby - First Class (UK Records) debut
39.  Time for livin' - Sly & the Family Stone (Epic)
38.  Let's put it all together - Stylistics (Avco)
37.  Rock the boat - Hues Corporation (RCA) fall 10 notches 
36.  Rock your baby - George McCrae (TK Records)

35.  Happiness is just around the bend - Main Ingredient (RCA)
34.  It's only rock'n roll (But I like it) - Rolling Stones (RS) debut
33.  River's rising - Edgar Winter Group (Epic) 
32.  You haven't done nothin' - Stevie Wonder (Tamla)  debut
31.  The air that I breathe - The Hollies (Epic) 

30.  Clap for the Wolfman - Guess Who (RCA) 2nd wk
29.  My thang - James Brown (Polydor)
28.  Radar love - Golden Earring (MCA)
27.  Rikki don't lose that number - Steely Dan (MCA) drop from #15
26.  Can't get enough of your love - Barry White (20th Century) 2nd wk

25.  Nothing from nothing - Billy Preston (A&M)  2nd wk
24.  Rock'n'roll heaven - Righteous Brothers (Capitol-Heaven Records)
23.  Hang on there baby - Johnny Bristol (MGM) former producer at Motown
22.  Wild thing - Fancy (Big Tree) 
21.  Then came you - Dionne Warwick & the Spinners (Atlantic) up 8 notches

20.  Rub it in - Billy 'Crash' Craddock (ABC) former #1 C&W
19.  Don't let the sun go down on me - Elton John (MCA)
18.  Annie song - John Denver (RCA)
17.  You and me against the world - Helen Reddy (Capitol)
16.  Sure as I am sittin' here - Three Dog Night (Dunhill)

15.  Rock me gently - Andy Kim (Capitol) 
14.  Shinin' on - Grand Funk (Capitol)  3wks
13.  I shot the sheriff - Eric Clapton (RSO)
12.  Takin' care of business - (Randy) Bachman-Turner Overdrive (Mercury)
11.  Keep on smiling - Wet Willie (Capricorn)

10.  Side show - Blue Magic (Atco)
9.  I'm leaving it all up to you - Donny & Marie Osmond (MGM)
8.  Wildwood weed - Jim Stafford (MGM) wr.: Don Bowman, CK's mate
7.  Waterloo - Abba (Atlantic)
6.  Call on me - Chicago (Columbia) 

5.  Please, come to Boston - Dave Loggins (Epic) Kenny's 2nd cousin
4.  Tell me something good - Rufus (ABC)
3.  (You're) Having my baby - Paul Anka with Odia Coates (UA)
2.  Feel like makin' love - Roberta Flack (Atlantic) down from #1
1.  The night Chicago died - Paper Lace (Mercury)

No comments:

Post a Comment